Saturday, November 25, 2006

analphabetapolothology

I recently downloaded OpenOffice to use as my primary wordprocessor. Last night, as I was typing away, I typed the letters 'ana'. I was on the way to typing the word 'analogy' for my paper, but a different word popped on screen. OpenOffice has the feature that allows the computer to finish the word for you, so if it is the right word, it pops up highlighted, so all you have to do to accept it is to hit enter. So anyway, I was typing the letters 'ana' and this word popped up: analphabetapolothology. This is a word I have never typed in my life, did not appear anywhere in the text above or below, and is likely to not appear anywhere in my harddrive, save the spellcheck list. I decided to look up the word. From Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary, I found 'analphabet', which means “a person who cannot read or white; illiterate.” It derives from Greek and means “not knowing the alphabet”. But what about the apolothology? I still have no clue. Can anyone help me? I just need to know what it means!

2 comments:

stephanie lee said...

it's the title of a really good album by the group Cap'n Jazz. i dunno if that really helps you much, but the musician Tim Kinsella writes really clever lyrics that usually play with words.

don't know how it popped up in your OpenOffice though, if you've never heard the band...

hope this helps ease the pain somewhat,
stephanie

Unknown said...

I have heard of them, though I've never listened.

They've been on my "look for" list, so that must be it.